Bacchas V Lindum – Quarter final EH Tier 2 Cup

Posted on | Category: CSR & Sponsorship

Ramsey Crookall Bacchanalians Mens 1st team took on Lindum yesterday in the quarter final of the England Hockey Tier 2 cup. Lindum who were crowned North Div. 1 champions on Saturday after a thumping 7-1 win against Neston were starting as firm favourites.

With national league umpires Matt Harrison and Jonah Hull officiating, it was Bacchas who started brighter with a great aerial from Andy Whiting after just 44 seconds finding Karl Moore whose shot fired just wide. Lindum began to settle with some good work down the right led by Ben Leeming and their midfield began to take control of the game forcing some longs periods of possession but not quite having the cutting edge in the final third of the pitch. Bacchas always looked like a break was on though and one such break came on the 16th minute and from the resulting short corner Andy Whiting fired home to make it 1-0 to Bacchas. This prompted a reaction from Lindum who picked up the pace and they immediately forced a couple of short corners. From the second, Dave Whiting in goals was unlucky to deflect a flick that was going over the bar into the roof of the net making it 1-1 after 19 minutes.

The next 10 minutes was end to end with Andy Whiting and Craig Leece both coming close. Lindum had two very good chances in the dying minutes of the first half to take the lead but close range efforts went wide. Half time 1-1 Bacchas started brighter again and pressed in the first few minutes until Lindum again settled and built possession. Bacchas came close after 9 minutes following a good break and Lindum came close 5 minutes later but resolute defending by Bacchas lead by George Harrison and Paul Griffiths kept the game at 1-1.  On sixteen minutes a well worked short corner move saw Lindum take the lead and with the possession they had it looked tough for Bacchas to come back. Come back they did, and quickly. A cross-field ball to right opened up the attack and Craig Leece was on hand with a deft deflection past the keeper to make it 2-2 on 18 minutes.

Lindum were still dominating the play but it looked increasingly like a short corner would have to decide it because they were not given any real good clear chances. Dave Whiting made a great save on 24 minutes from a short corner. Skipper Jamie Brown was getting everything out the team and the longer the game went on the more it looked likely a draw was on the cards. When Lindum failed to convert a short corner in the last two minutes the local side played out the rest of the game for it to finish 2-2. So to flicks to decide it.

Bacchas took first and Karl Moore duly dispatched. When Lindum skipper fired his wide Bacchas had the advantage. Jonny Callow slotted his in and Dave Whiting saved Lindum’s second flick. Andy Whiting roofed his and after Lindum scored thrir first flick it fell rightly to skipper and man of the match Jamie Brown to put the ball wide of the keeper to take Bacchas into the semi -final 4-1 on flicks
Thanks to sponsors Ramsey Crookall , the umpires association for bring Matt and Jonah over, Gary Johnson and the Lindum team for coming over and to all those who braved the weather. Not forgetting the ball-boys Joseph Corlett , Harry Callin and Will Wiseman.